Professional Activities Funding
Tuesday, February 7th , 2023 at 11:59 PM
Professional activities (short-term leave) funding assists faculty in attending and participating in professionally relevant conferences, workshops, and courses (including online courses, books, and instructional materials).
Provided that funding is available, faculty members are eligible for up to $3900 every three fiscal years to cover registration fees, transportation, lodging, meals/ incidental expenses, tuition, and/or materials.
Contracted faculty members are eligible for Professional Activities funds immediately upon employment. Part-time faculty members are eligible for Professional Activities funds after one year (4 terms) of employment at LCC at a .20 average annual FTE. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis depending on the availability of funding. Applications are reviewed monthly with the exception of the Summer term.
You MUST submit your application to FPD via the FPD Professional Activities Application Softdoc form prior to the date the event starts for your application to be considered. We cannot award funding for past events. *The only exception to this policy is the first deadline of the Fall term, when you may submit an application for late summer events.
Please try to keep travel costs down. FPD funds are limited and we want to be able to maximize funding to benefit as many faculty as possible. At the same time, when in doubt, slightly overestimate your expenses when you apply, as you cannot be reimbursed for more than your award amount. If your expenses are less than your award amount, you will be reimbursed for the actual amount of your expenses.
Step One: Fill out the FPD Professional Activities Application Form on Softdocs.
- All parts are required even if the conference or course is local and does not require travel.
- Please spell out acronyms when applicable (e.g. American Chemical Society instead of ACS).
- Airfare: FPD suggests searching several sites to find a reasonable cost estimate for your flight. Don't forget to include baggage fees! Please remember that if you need FPD to purchase your airfare, you must apply at least two months in advance.
- Lodging: The federal government sets per diem rates for lodging. View the per diem rates for lodging in the 48 states here. If your lodging rate exceeds the per diem amount for the event location, explain why in your application (e.g. staying at conference hotel). If you are traveling to Alaska, Hawaii, a US territory or Internationally, view the per diem rates here.
- Meals: Meals will be reimbursed based on a per diem rate. These rates are set by the federal government and vary by location, please provide the per diem rate for the location to where you will be traveling. Be sure to include your travel days in "Event Dates" ?to be reimbursed for meals. View the per diem rates for meals here.
- Choose the year, city, and state in which the event is happening and click "Find Rates."
- Scroll down to find "Meals and Incidentals Breakdown."
- Enter the "M&IE Total" number on the line on the application for "Meals per diem- full days."
- Next, enter the number of full days as well as the number of travel days (the day you travel from the Eugene/Springfield area to the event location and the day you return from the event location). The form will automatically calculate the per diem amounts for both travel and non-travel days (the per diem for a travel day is 75% of a non-travel day.)
- For international per diem rates, please use State Department rates. The per diem meal rate is the 6th column from the left and is in U.S. Dollars.
- Mileage (privately owned vehicles): Federal government rates are also used for private auto mileage reimbursement. Mileage rates are automatically calculated in the form.
- Ground transportation, parking, miscellaneous expenses, etc.: Be sure to include all expenses such as parking, shuttle fees, additional conference-related materials, etc. If you are planning on using a college car, please include the anticipated cost in your application. Note: FPD is not able to pre-pay for rental cars. However, we can reimburse you upon your return.
Step Two: Link to or attach any supplementary documentation to the form.
Be sure to link to or attach relevant documentation. This may include event information, an acceptance letter, hotel information, etc.
Step Three: Submit your application.
Softdocs will store a copy of your application. You can also download the application from Softdocs and save it for your records.
Remember to submit your application BEFORE the conference, workshop, or course begins. The only exception to this policy is for events that take place late summer through early fall prior to the first committee meeting of the academic year.
If you want to find out how much money you have available to you, you can check your Professional Activities account. Be sure to use a capital "L" when entering your L#, and use the first 6 digits of the password you use to log into Moodle, ExpressLane, etc. If you have never applied for funding, you will receive an "invalid L#" when you try to check your balance. Once you apply, you will be added to the database.
Please note that this is a theoretical account balance. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on the availability of funding.
You will be notified of your application status within one week of the posted committee meeting date. Please see below for Deadlines and Meeting Dates.
Within one week after completion of the event:
You will need to submit the FPD Professional Activities Reimbursement Request form in Softdocs. Be sure to attach detailed receipts for expenses. Receipts are not needed for meals or gas, as these are reimbursed at federal per diem and mileage rates.
Deadlines and Meeting Dates (2022-23)
|Submission Deadlines: (at 11:59 pm)||Committee Meetings:|
|Tuesday, October 4th 2022||Thursday, October 13th|
|Tuesday, November 1st, 2022||Thursday, November 10th|
|Tuesday, November 29th, 2022||Thursday, December 8th|
|Tuesday, January 10th, 2023||Thursday, January 19th|
|Tuesday, February 7th, 2023||Thursday, February 16th|
|Tuesday, March 7th, 2023||Thursday, March 16th|
|Tuesday, April 4th, 2023||TBD|
|Tuesday, May 2nd, 2023||TBD|
Tuesday, May 30th, 2023*
*Please note this is the last day to turn in applications for summer activities for advance approval.
How the Professional Activities Fund Works:
Your Professional Activities Fund doesn't replenish once every three years. Instead, it replenishes once a year on July 1 in the amount that you spent three years earlier.