In general, personal services contracts shall be awarded only following a competitive screening procedure. This procedure details the circumstances under which an exception to the competitive process may be granted.
- Personal services contracts are contracts for services performed by an independent contractor in a professional capacity.
- Contracts which are predominantly for a product, even though they include services of a professional nature are not personal services contracts.
- For a definition of Independent Contractor, see Independent Contractors: Definitions.
- Personal services contracts shall be awarded only following a competitive screening procedure subject to the following exemptions:
- The contract is with an existing service provider whose personal service contract is being renewed on an annual basis;
- The contract is with a provider determined to be the sole supplier of the services needed;
- The contract is for less than $5,000 per project, in which case selection and award may be made without competitive screening procedures; or
- Where a particular personal services contractor has unique knowledge or skills or has specialized knowledge gained through years of cumulative service to the college or through specialized events, and it is desirable to retain this body of experience, the requirement for a formal selection process may be waived and the award may be authorized on the basis of a single response to a request for proposal.
- Waivers between $5,000.00 and $49,999.99 total project cost may be granted by the Controller. Waivers between $50,000.00 and $74,999.99 may be granted only by the president. Waivers of $75,000.00 or greater may be granted only by the board of education.