This procedure is used in conjunction with the policy by the same name. The procedure was developed by Lane's "Banner And Related Systems coordinating group" (BARScg) and reviewed and amended by the Executive Team.
- The process is initiated by one of the data custodians after consultation with the appropriate AVP or VP.
- The data custodian completes the Request For System Modification through the "Functional analysis" section and submits it to the Chief Information Officer (CIO). The reason section shall include at least one of the following:
- Meet a contractual or regulatory requirement.
- Provide critical information to the college Board of Education or Administration
- Protect student and/or staff privacy, or
- Meet a critical business need that cannot be accomplished without making the modification
- The CIO will assign the request to technical staff to complete the "Technical analysis" section. Information Technology and the requester of the modification will review the following:
- Can the contractual or regulatory issue be addressed in some other way?
- Can critical information be provided using tools that do not modify the system?
- Is the business need a "best practice"?
- Is the investment of programmer time justified by an equal or greater reduction of staff time to complete the business without modification?
- Can the modification be made and maintained relatively simply?
- Technical staff will return the completed form to the CIO.
- The CIO will complete the "decision" section of the form and send completed copies to the originating data custodian, the technical staff and the Lane database administrator (DBA).
The DBA will maintain a file of approved modification requests.
Data custodian: The college has designated a data custodian for each major module of the core administrative system. Data custodians are identified for the Student, Finance, Financial Aid, Human Resources and Scheduling areas. Phone or email the procedure contact person (above) for the names of the current data custodians.