Health and Safety


Facilities Management and Planning


(541) 463-5000

Primary Contact

Jennifer Hayward

Contact Email

Responsible Executive Authority

Vice President, Finance & Administration


The purpose of this procedure is to clarify all college requirements regarding animals brought on campus property such that the campus remains safe, healthy, and secure at all times. This procedure also describes the process by which a formal complaint may be made against violators of this procedure, and describes the action to be taken if an owner cannot be located.



  • All animals on campus must be under the immediate physical control of the owner at all times (i.e., on leash, carried, etc.)
  • Animals must remain outside campus buildings with the exceptions of:
    • Service animals approved as an accommodation by the Center for Accessibility Resources (for students); or
    • Service animals approved as an accommodation by Human Resources (for employees, community members).
    • Therapy animals as approved and scheduled by Human Resources.
    • For more information about Service Animals, please refer to this associated COPPS procedure: Disabilities: Service Animals.
  • Animal owners are required to immediately pick up and properly dispose of any solid waste produced by their animals.
  • All animals permitted to be on-site shall be closely managed by their owner.
  • Animals may not be tied to buildings, fixtures, etc., left unattended or permitted to run at large on campus.
  • Large animals may not be ridden, led or otherwise allowed on college property.
  • Animals that pose a safety or security risk, are visibly unhealthy, or demonstrate an aggressive behavior on campus shall be immediately removed off site by the owner.
  • Animals may not be left on campus without the owner's presence.
  • "Abandoned" or "lost" cats and dogs will be taken to Lane County Animal Control or Greenhill Humane Society if an owner cannot be located.
  • No person shall hunt, fish, pursue, trap, molest, injure or kill any game or non-game wildlife within college property. Exceptions may be made for law enforcement officers called to dispatch a severely injured or dangerous animal.

Primary College Contacts

  • Please refer to the associated COPPS procedure Disabilities: Service Animals.
  • Students may go to the Center for Accessibility Resources web pages for information or guidance or email: or at 541-463-5150. You may also contact, Mandie Pritchard, ADA/504 Compliance Officer for Students at 541-463-5150.
  • Employees may request to have a service animal as a workplace accommodation through the college's ADA Coordinator in Human Resources. Additional Human Resources department contact information is found on the Human Resources website.
  • Guests may be accompanied by a service animal when participating in programs and accessing services without requesting an accommodation, but are welcome to contact the college's ADA Coordinator for information or guidance.
  • Other helpful contact resources are Greg Evans, Associate Vice President for Equity and Inclusion at (541) 463-5307 or Shane Turner, Executive Director for Human Resources and Compliance at 541-463-5115.
  • Facilities Management and Planning services office can be reached by calling 541-463-5000.
  • Public Safety staff can be reached at extension 5558. All animals that present a safety or security threat should be reported immediately to Public Safety.


Feral Cats: Feral cats are the "wild" offspring of domestic cats and are usually the result of pet owners' abandonment or failure to spay and neuter their animals, allowing them to breed uncontrolled. A small feral cat colony can be found on main campus. This colony is controlled by the trap/spay/neuter method by volunteers of the Animal Support Committee (ASC). New additions to the colony are placed with off-campus care givers in order to limit the size of the colony. The college has agreed that the ASC can feed the cats at several designated locations. Feeding at other sites is not allowed. Persons who wish to assist in this effort should contact a member of the ASC. Lane will support the work of the ASC. The ASC shall be a non-profit, volunteer organization which is charged with assisting the College in managing animals on campus. The ASC will be provided an opportunity for meaningful input and involvement with control issues around the feral cat population and other animals on campus.

Birds. Nesting places may not be disturbed during the time the birds are nesting.  Nesting areas that do not affect access to the structures, obstruct maintenance systems or prevent normal building maintenance, or present a health or safety issue, should be left undisturbed until nesting places are inactive. Nests constructed above entry ways or other areas that create a safety or health hazard to pedestrian traffic may be removed by contacting Facilities Management and Planning (FMP), (541) 463-5000, provided that no eggs or young are destroyed. A local certified and licensed pest control contractor shall be hired to treat or remove all active bird nesting areas. Facilities staff will not remove any active bird nesting areas. There shall be no intentional or unintentional feeding of Wild Turkeys and the college will utilize the guidance in the Oregon Department of Wild Life's Considerations for Coexisting with Wild Turkeys. If a bird flies into a building and needs to be removed, call FMP at (541) 463-5000.

Pests. Facilities Management and Planning, 541-463-5000, should be contacted in the event of an animal or pest problem or complaint. The Integrated Pest Management Plan Coordinator for the college is responsible for dealing with complaints about birds, insects, rodents, weeds, structures, or other nuisance problems that may become safety or health hazards.

General Rule Regarding Service Animals

The Center for Accessibility Resources is the primary contact for this topic. For more information please refer to the Disabilities: Service Animals procedure.

Frequently Asked Questions

 For questions regarding service animals, please refer to the U.S. Department of Justice Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Place of Business.

Q: Who is responsible for clean up?
A: Service animals must be housebroken, i.e. have the ability to control waste elimination. All persons/handlers of all service animals (inside the buildings or out) are responsible for any clean-up after their animal. Under circumstances where the person/ handler is not able to carry out this function then the Facilities Management and Planning Department should be called at 541-463-5000.

Q: What if the animal is out of control?
A: If the animal becomes out of control, and the animal's handler does not take effective action to regain control of the animal, then the person/handler will need to remove the animal from college premises. The person with a disability still has the opportunity to participate in college pro­grams, classes, offerings, and facilities.

Q: Are pets permitted in college buildings?
A: No, pets are not permitted inside college buildings. This includes dogs, cats, birds, fish, snakes, lizards, spiders, and other types of pets.

Q: Are pets allowed on campus (outdoors)?
A: Yes, college policy permits people to have pets on outdoor college facilities, except in the athletic areas such as track area, baseball field, soccer fields, and child care areas. Pets must be on a leash at all times. Service animals and service animals in training are allowed in athletic facilities.

Q: What happens when geese are on campus?
A: If large numbers of geese are on campus and are impacting instructional programs, contact the Facilities Management and Planning office at extension 5000. FMP staff will coordinate with a licensed and certified wildlife management firm to take measured and proper approaches to geese mitigation. Regulatory compliance measures will consider whether the geese are nesting or not and will not harm the geese in any way.

Q: If I see a mountain lion or cougar or bear or other threatening animal on or near the campus, what should I do?
A: Contact Public Safety staff immediately at extension 5558 and/or call the Facilities Management and Planning Office at extension 5000 and/or call Lisa Rupp, Interim Manager of Public Safety.

Q: If I see birds making nests near building entrances and the waste of the birds is possibly getting tracked into buildings what should I do? 
A: Report the observation immediately to the Facilities Management and Planning Office at extension 5000. Provide the building number, description of the door entrance, and the nature of the nest/waste mess. 

Q: If I see other animal type pests not defined under "Pests" above, what should I do?
A: Report the observation immediately to the Facilities Management and Planning Office at extension 5000.

Q: If an animal is noted in an enclosed vehicle on a hot day, what should I do?
A: Contact Public Safety staff immediately at extension 5558.

Date Adopted

Saturday, May 1, 1999

Date Last Reviewed

Monday, October 10, 2022