How to Send Records to the Archives

Records: How to Send Records to the Archives


How to Send Records to the Archives for Temporary or Permanent Storage

  • Refer to the Records Retention Schedule and consult with the Archivist to make sure records meet the necessary standards for storage.
  • Contact the Archivist to request records boxes. [email:]
  • Put the records into records boxes. For details, refer to: Transferring Records.
  • Mark the boxes on the upper left corner of the front of the box with an abbreviation for the department and the box number.
  • Fill out the Transmittal Form.
    • Open the TF document in MS Word. Save the document onto a desktop computer.
    • Complete the first two sections (with the exception of the Accession # which will be assigned later).
    • Fill-in brief descriptions of each box, including the box #, description, and dates of the records.
  • Complete the Contents List (page 2 of the Transmittal Form) with detailed descriptions of the box contents.
  • Email the completed Transmittal Form / Contents List as an attachment to:
  • Put in a Work Order to have FMP pick up the filled boxes and have them taken to the Archives' Receiving & Processing Room Building 4, Room 107.
  • The Archives will assign an Accession # and complete the Transmittal Form.
  • Two copies of the Transmittal Form will be sent to the department for a signature. Return one signed copy to the Archives. The other copy is kept by the department to refer to when requesting records from the Archives in the future.