It is the purpose of this policy to designate official spokespersons, and list the responsibilities of the PIO. Contact with news media should be coordinated through the Public Information Officer (PIO).
Contact with news media should be coordinated through the Public Information Officer (PIO) in Marketing and Public Relations. Contact includes responding to inquiries from media, pitching ideas to media, issuing news releases, and releasing records.
Official Lane spokespersons are the board chair and the Lane president, who may choose to fulfill or delegate that function as appropriate. The PIO assists in identifying delegate spokespersons.
The PIO is responsible for:
- informing the official Lane spokespersons or assist in identifying delegating spokespersons;
- responding to media inquiries for information, interviews, photographs and filming;
- promoting Lane news, events, expert opinion, and other information;
- advising staff seeking publicity;
- advising staff who are contacted by media;
- ensuring compliance with public records law, Lane administrative policies and procedures, and board policy;
- coordinating crises communications;
- maintaining working relationships with reporters and editors; and
- tracking news coverage.