The mission of the AA/EO area of Human Resources is to ensure equal opportunity and promote diversity among the staff and students, and within the college community as consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and to provide a working and learning environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
The AA/D/EO Area of Human Resources helps ensure affirmative action and equal opportunity in employment and promotes diversity initiatives consistent with applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations, and best practices that advocate for working and learning environments that are free from discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
AA/D/EO assures that the college's Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity and Diversity program is carried out through:
AA/EO Program and Policies
- Updating and implementing the College's Affirmative Action Plan
- Establishing and monitoring action-oriented programs to meet annually updated placement goals, as defined by the OFCCP.
- Assisting in the development of policies, procedures and guidelines to ensure equal opportunity and compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations and the Affirmative Action plan.
- Participating in ensuring the effective implementation of AA/EO policies and procedures throughout the college's organizational structure.
- Ensuring nondiscriminatory practices during recruitment, hiring, training, promotions, employment decisions, and related personnel actions.
- Reviewing paper screening criteria, interview questions, teaching demonstration/competency test scenarios, and candidate hiring recommendations (as requested.)
- Review applicant pools, interview pools, employment recommendations and selection committee proceedings.
Technical Assistance and Outreach
- Providing technical assistance, problem solving and resolution services on AA/D/EO policies, regulations, issues and concerns.
- Serving as a resource and liaison for college staff and students, administrators and community groups and organizations interested in learning environment and equal employment opportunity issues.
- Participating in investigating, processing and resolving complaints filed by staff, students, applicants, and others participating in college activities and programs.
Diversity & Training
- Continuing support of diversity initiatives that maintain a strong commitment to equal employment and educational opportunity in all activities, programs and services.
- Participating in providing training on AA/EO, nondiscrimination and harassment, access and accommodations, diversity, and related matters.
- Providing assistance in creating new outreach and recruitment strategies in collaboration with the Office of Admissions Coordinator.
- Collaborate with the ASLCC Multicultural Intern, Multicultural Center staff and ASLCC students groups to ensure a successful and positive leadership experience.
- Serving as a resource and liaison for college staff and students, administrators and decision-makers, college and community groups and organizations on workplace educational diversity issues.
- Helping acquire training materials that will assist faculty with developing an anti-bias/gender equity/ multicultural curricula.
- Helping acquire instructional materials to enhance diversity discussions in classrooms.
- Providing Lane staff with diversity awareness opportunities.
- Coordinating the implementation of the Diversity Plan
- Helping to coordinate the implementation of the Diversity & Human Rights Consortium Memorandum of Understanding
- Participating in the planning of the annual Oregon Diversity Institute Conference.
Lane Community College is committed to providing a working and learning environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Lane is committed to equal opportunity in education and employment, affirmative action, diversity, and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The college prohibits discrimination in admissions, employment and access to college programs, activities and services on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, familial relationship, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, disability, religion, expunged juvenile record, or veterans’ status. This commitment is made by the college in accordance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
See Lane's full Nondiscrimination Policy Statement
- Inquiries may be directed to the Executive Director for Human Resources and Compliance, Lane Community College, 4000 East 30th Avenue, Eugene, Oregon 97405-0640, (541) 463-5585. Inquiries regarding Title IX may be directed to Daniel K T Brown, Title IX Coordinator, 541-463-5930. Inquiries regarding Section 504 may be directed to Shane Turner, Executive Director for Human Resources and Compliance, Building 3, Room 114, 541-463-5115.