Volunteer Scholarship Reader Opportunity
The Lane Community College Foundation has been awarding $1 million in scholarships to our students each academic year. We rely on a caring, dedicated team of individuals to help us review student applications. This is a meaningful volunteer opportunity and our readers truly enjoy the process.
What to expect:
- Review online applications from your home, on your own schedule!
- Access online applications with PC or MAC computers using current versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browsers.
- Tablet devices are typically okay. The platform is not mobile optimized. The side-by-side viewing feature, which is optional, may not be available on some devices.
- Computers should be up to date. Volunteers may need to download Adobe Reader to access application documents (No cost version available on the internet).
- Because of COVID restrictions, the traditional on campus orientations are not being held in 2021. For new reviewers, the Scholarship Coordinator will be available to introduce you to the system via alternate communication. Orientation materials are very detailed and include print screens that will show you how to navigate the software.
- Read approximately 40-50 applications.
- Completing your review will take approximately 25-30+ hours.
- Reviews begin in late March and conclude in late April. Approximately one month to complete your assigned applications.
- Reviewers will be asked to sign Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality forms.
- Reviewers will receive the support needed to feel confident and successful in their reviews.
- Results of the review and specific scholarship criteria will be considered when the LCC Foundation identifies scholarship recipients. Offers will be sent to students in early June.
- The LCC Foundation is committed to providing every application with respectful, fair, and consistent consideration. The review team is an integral part of this process.
- Prospective volunteers must be residents of Lane County.
- Employees of Lane Community College are not eligible for this volunteer opportunity.
Comments from our Volunteers
"It is an honor for me to be a part of this. Thank you so much for the opportunity!"
"As always, participating in the review process was a real privilege."
"It was a profound experience reading the applications. I look forward to doing it again in the future."
"Wanted to let you know that I have finished reviewing and I must say, another wonderful experience! So many bright deserving applicants."